Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Eggplant with tomatoes and avocado

One of my favorite vegetables is the eggplant.  It is very versatile in my opinion and will hold up to almost anything you pair it with.  I call it the hamburger of the plant world.

Last week I purchased two of these purple beauties and promptly forgot about them.  Scavaging for something to eat last night I pulled them out and they were still very firm so I decided to use one.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, I had seen a recipe on Pinterest I liked, however a scan of my pins and likes did not reveal the recipe.  I decided to wing it.  Here is the recipe I came up with just using what I had on hand in the fridge.

Recipe: Eggplant with tomatoes and avocado (For 2)

1 large eggplant
1/2 cup Ham (cubed)  *Optional
2-3 tomatoes (Diced)
1/2 Avocado (Diced)
1/2 tsp Olive Oil
Garlic Salt

Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices (about 5 slices).  In a skillet heat olive oil and add eggplant slices. Season with garlic salt to taste. Brown on both sides, remove from the pan and set aside.  To the pan add the ham and heat through, add the tomatoes and saute about a minute.  Finally add the avocado and heat till everything is warmed through.  Arrange the eggplant slices on a plate and top with the tomato and avocado mixture.  Top with Parmesan and serve.
Notes:
I say this is an 2 serving meal.  I used about 3 small tomatoes from my garden, this was my preference.  I used the two larger slices of eggplant for my husbands portion and 3 smaller slices for myself and split the tomato/avocado mixture evenly between the two.
I am not vegetarian so I used what ham was left in my fridge from making pizza the week before, so it is not an essential component.  Without the ham about one to two shakes of garlic salt per piece of eggplant should be enough seasoning.  The ham added more salt than I thought it would, so my first attempt, though good (even in my dear husbands opinion) was salty.  If using ham I would reduce the garlic salt used or use garlic powder instead.  I was very pleased with the  outcome though and think this is definitely a repeat dish in my house.  Now to figure out what to do with the other eggplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment